The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, October 26, at Santa Anita Park. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. Vice Chairman Madeline Auerbach and Commissioners Fred Maas and Alex Solis also were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
• The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulatory amendment to prohibit horses from running within five days of receiving an intra-articular injection (glucocorticosteroid/cortisone). The Board also approved for notice a proposed rule to require the veterinarian administering the injection to create a record and to require the trainer to maintain that record for the purpose of assisting the pre-race veterinary examination. Vice Chairman Auerbach, who chairs the Medication and Track Safety Committee, said these changes are in the best interest of horses and their riders.
• The Board allocated 2018 racing dates for standardbred and quarter horse meets and the Northern California thoroughbred and fair racing circuit. These allocations complete the 2018 racing calendar, as the Board allocated dates for the Southern California circuit in September. The standardbred dates at Cal Expo run from December 26, 2017, through May 12, 2018, and then from October 20 through December 23. The quarter horse dates at Los Alamitos run from December 26, 2017, through December 16, 2018.
The northern circuit allocations begin December 26, 2017, through June 12, 2018, at Golden Gate Fields, followed by Pleasanton (June 13 through July 10), Cal Expo State Fair (July 11 through July 24), Santa Rosa (July 25 through August 14), Ferndale (August 15 through August 28), Golden Gate (August 22 through October 2), Fresno (October 3 through October 16), and then Golden Gate (October 17 through December 18). Allocated dates include days prior to and following anticipated race meet dates for purposes of simulcast hosting. More precise racing schedules will be determined when individual meets are licensed.
• The Board approved the license application for daytime thoroughbred racing at Los Alamitos from November 29 through December 19.
• The Board approved the license application for night quarter horse racing at Los Alamitos from December 29, 2017, through December 26, 2018.
• Chairman Winner announced the following memberships of CHRB standing committees:
Pari-Mutuel, ADW and Simulcast: Commissioner Jesse Choper chair; Commissioner Maas, member
Legislative, Legal and Regulations: Commissioner Choper chair; Commissioner Maas, member
Medication and Track Safety: Vice Chairman Auerbach, chair; Commissioner Solis, member
Jockey and Driver Welfare: Commissioner Solis, chair; Vice Chairman Auerbach, member
Budget and Finance: Commissioner Maas, chair; Commissioner Araceli Ruano, member
Racing, Breeding and Stabling: Commissioner Ruano, chair; Commissioner Solis, member
Race Dates: Chairman Winner, chair; Vice Chairman Auerbach, member
Stewards: Chairman Winner, chair; Vice Chairman Auerbach, member
• The Board approved the distribution of $27,520 in race day charity proceeds by the Los Alamitos Quarter Horse Racing Association to five beneficiaries.
• The Board approved the distribution of $9,775 in race day charity proceeds by the Los Alamitos Racing Association to four beneficiaries.
• The Board approved the distributions of $58,182 and $159,214 in race day charity proceeds from 2016 and 2017 race meets by the Los Angeles Turf Club (Santa Anita Park), each distribution to 10 beneficiaries.
• Tom Aronson with Racing Resource Group gave a presentation on instant/historic horse racing, which is being offered in four other states. A video overview of historic horse racing can be viewed at exactasystems.com.
• Executive Director Rick Baedeker reported that total handle in California has mostly recovered from steeper declines early in the year and was down less than 1 percent through September.